God promised to bless Abraham
Categories: Children's Church
Lesson: The Blessings of Abraham are Yours
- There was an old man named Terah with 3 sons; the eldest was called Abram.
- Abram married a beautiful woman named Sarai.
- They went from Ur to Harran, where Terah passed away at 205 years of age.
- Then God said to Abram: “Go from your country, your people and your father’shouseholdto the land I will show you. I will make you into a great nation, and I willblessyou; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” (Genesis 12:2-3)
- Abram was 75 years old when he took Sarai and his nephew Lot with him to Canaan.
- God gave Abram more promises: “To your offspring I will give this land.” (Genesis 12:7)
- At that time:
- Abram had no descendants, no household, no significance, no identity
- Abram meant “exalted Father”, but he had no children. His name became a joke.
- His wife was barren. At that time, childlessness was considered a curse.
- But God was promising to him who was:
- Dry & Burnt Out? A land flowing with milk and honey; a land of rest (Heb 4)
- Feeling Insignificant? He will make him a “great nation”
- Having to toil hard? He will bless with abundant increase
- The butt of jokes? He will make his name famous and distinguished
- Feeling accursed? He will be a blessing and God will bless those who bless him
- God gave many, many more blessings and promises to Abram.
- Because of Jesus, we also have a part in Abram’s blessings!
- Galatians 3:14 He redeemed us from the curse of the Law in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.
- Galatians 3:16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say “and to seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed” meaning one person who is Christ.
- Galatians 3:29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
- Thank you Jesus that all God’s promises are “Yes” and “Amen” because of You!